ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[Wish] Things that I'm starting to miss   [Wish]

By: Walter       
Date: Jun 05,2006 at 20:53

Hi,
Though I'm a very old xtree/ztree user, I'm starting to get used to some Windows features, and they're not related to mouse or icons.

I don't usually browse the forums, so I hope I'm not posting something too talked about.

Specifically, what I'm missing the most is the "My Network Places" paradigm.
From what I understand, the only way to access a Windows Network is by mapping drives. I find that inconvenient, for various reasons:
- First of all, because I have to affect the computer I'm using. Since I move from client to client, that's a complication.
- The fact that I have to remember different letters depending on these available on the station.
- The fact that sometimes I don't have an available letter at all, since the sysadmin used all of them.

A couple of other things:

- Being able to copy a folder and it's subfolders without doing the */branch/tag all/alt-c routine. Though that can be improved with a macro, it's still slower.

- Finding files: If I don't know *at all* where's a file, I have to log the entire volume before being able to locate it. And that takes a lot of time. I usually press win-F, do the search, copy the location, and paste it to \

Anyway, Ztree is still the most feature rich fm there is. I just think that it could adapt a little to the OS is runs on (yes, even if that's windows!)

For the three scenarios I metioned:

- Network: I have the feeling that drive letters are getting less relevant.
An alternative: Pressing "L", instead of showing available drives, it'd let me access a list similar to history, where I could select an "object": a drive, directory, or FTP directory.
This way, ZT would get a huge upgrade to it's phylosophy, without replacing it.

- Branch copy: An alt-something combination.

- Find: A "Found Items" virtual folder/drive would be great. Very similar to Show All Tagged files but without having to log everything.

I downloaded xplorer2 pro, and it's a very good program. Really. Not "nice" or "cute", but truly good.
But after a while I automatically open Ztree cause I simply don't move around fast enough. Maybe I'll buy it and use both of them.

Don't misunderstand me: I *love* Ztree. I *ADORE* Ztree. It's a powerhouse, and so elegant.

I just think it has to get a concepts modernization (and again, no icons and stuff!).

Thanks,
Walter

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 77 users online (0 registered, 77 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 29, 2024 - 2:26 pm UTC  |  Hits:62,408,871  (23,657 Today )
RSS Feed