ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

MB instead of KB view.   [General]

By: Juergen Hestermann       
Date: Oct 05,2003 at 20:02
In Response to: MB instead of KB view. (Walt)

> In other words, look at what we've got and fix it one way or the other. Do
> not leave it as it is!
> I fully support the option of allowing M, G, T. It makes sense. To fight
> this and still allow the K display is asinine.

I think that we should not separate Alt+K from other size displays. This is a general problem of all file size (and even number) displays where even a single file can theoretically have a size of 2 TB. In the future we will not be able to display all possible sizes in the available space with a fixed unit. Of course, MB is less likely to lead to problems than kB. But it only postpones the general problem until the next size barrier is reached. So it is needed to find a general solution that will work forever. Otherwise we will debate the same thing again in some years.

A solution can only be an automatic. I am thinking of something I have in my pocket calculator: The engineering display mode uses powers of ten where the exponent is multiple of 3. You can decrease or increase the exponent in steps of 3 making your number shorter or longer. But this is only allowed if the number fits in the display.

In Ztree we could use a standard unit selected by the user (byte, kilobyte, gigabyte, terrabyte,...) but if the number becomes too large the next higher unit is chosen for every individual size/number. Additionally to the fixed units (which can only be applied if there is room) there may be a floating mode that uses a unit which retains a number with as many digits as possible.

And there could be two different standard units for Alt+K and general statistics where the latter can be configured in the Alt+F10 configs while Alt+K size can be toggled directly in the Alt+K menu.

The one and only drawback of this is, that there is no longer a guarantee that long numbers are also large numbers. But I don't see any way to keep this somehow.

J├╝rgen.

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

95,067 Postings in 11,984 Threads, 350 registered users, 80 users online (0 registered, 80 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Aug 9, 2020 - 9:54 am EDT  |  Hits:32,982,605  (11,185 Today )
RSS Feed