ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[Wish] I would like to see Ztree support the Windows 10 long file path   [Wish]

By: Tim Mongeon       
Date: Nov 29,2016 at 14:34

Hello.

For years I have waited for Microsoft to finally come to their senses and remove the long file path restriction and they have in the Anniversary Update. I have it enabled and it works fine in some programs - i.e. Windows Explorer, but it is limited because the application have to support it as well. Ztree doesn't. If I try to open one of files or saved web pages in a very long path, it will choke. Yes I can get around it and have for years (using a 3rd party util that will alert me, or renaming or even using subst), but now that there is a chance of not having to do that, I would hope that Ztree would support this in the (near?) future.

The reason I use long file paths is that I treat the hard drive like a dynamic reference.

For example,

H:\RESEARCH\Desktop\General (or applies to more than one Desktop characteristic)\Where is the list of pinned start menu and taskbar items stored in Windows 7\1. users.. Appdata-Microsoft-Internet Explorer-QuickLaunch-User Pinned-Taskbar\162758_Where is the list of pinned start menu and taskbar items stored in Windows 7 - Super User.png

Is one file path just to give you an idea.

I can easily shorten this to:

H:\RESEARCH\Desktop\General (or applies to more than one Desktop characteristic)\Where is the list of pinned start menu and taskbar items stored in Windows 7\162931_list of pinned start menu and taskbar items.png

and it will open - but there are many directory structures that I would rather leave intact.

By the way, if you like my idea of the dynamic reference, I recommend the Everything utility to act as the Index of the reference. Whenever I need to do research on a problem or topic, I have it at my fingertips.

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 47 users online (0 registered, 47 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 28, 2024 - 12:12 pm UTC  |  Hits:62,365,919  (18,316 Today )
RSS Feed