ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[Discuss] Changing TXT editor (SIGH)   [Discuss]

By: Art Kocsis     So Calif  
Date: May 02,2016 at 23:49
In Response to: [Discuss] Changing TXT editor (SIGH) (Paul Laufer)

> I've been a TSEPro text editor user for some 20 years, but because
> of its limitation on line length I've had to switch to Notepad++ lately.
> Then recently I had to edit a 2 GIG and a 8 GIG .SQL file and Notepad++
> was unable to open files that large. So I searched a little and found
> Ultra Edit. http://www.ultraedit.com The 30 day demo did the job and
> seemed to be quite feature rich, stable and well supported.
>
> I am not one to change text editors lightly, but I'm considering
> purchasing Ultra Edit. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

> I've been a TSEPro text editor user for some 20 years, but because
> of its limitation on line length I've had to switch to Notepad++ lately.
> Then recently I had to edit a 2 GIG and a 8 GIG .SQL file and Notepad++
> was unable to open files that large. So I searched a little and found
> Ultra Edit. http://www.ultraedit.com The 30 day demo did the job and
> seemed to be quite feature rich, stable and well supported.
>
> I am not one to change text editors lightly, but I'm considering
> purchasing Ultra Edit. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Frances Wohlfelder's post reminded me of 010 Editor. I had looked at this editor years ago but had forgotten about it. Even then it was a powerful editor but, due to inertia and having an already paid for editor with lots of investment in custom coding, I did not switch.

Out of curiosity, I looked at it again and I must say it is very impressive - more so than UltraEdit. In a nutshell, I think 010 Editor is much more capable (and cheaper), than UltraEdit and you should give it a try.

http://www.sweetscape.com/010editor/features.html

The 010 feature set is umpteen pages long and includes almost everything one can think of. It operates in four modes: Hex Editor, Text Editor, Binary Editor, or Source Code Editor. Its forte is editing binary files using smart templates (which can be user defined). Likewise, the source code syntax highlighting rules can also be user defined/created. I tested it with the largest file that I seem to have online - 320GB. Like HxD, 010 Editor loaded it instantly and I could scroll from one end to the other as fast as I could move the mouse. I tried inserting some text at the beginning of the file and it did so with zero lag. I didn't allow saving the edited file but I suspect that actually writing 320 GB to a disk would not be instantaneous. ;-)

010 Editor is a bit less expensive than UltraEdit: $50 ($20 upgrade) vs $80 ($40 upgrade) but they both actively improve and upgrade their products.

NoteTab has been my primary editor for 10-20 years and it is like an old comfortable shoe. As with any many-many-featured program such as NoteTab or ZTree, one has to invest in some learning time to get the most benefit. It appears the same will be the case with 010 Editor - which, like you, is not something I look forward to. However, 010 Editor has some features which are probably never going to appear in Notetab such as native binary and disk editing, in-app file compares, and customizable highlighting. Features that I would very much like. NoteTab is pretty much a one man effort and I think the author is getting bored whereas 010 is a team effort. If I can create a custom toolbar in 010 Editor similar to the user clipbar I have in NoteTab I think the switch will be worthwhile.

Namaste', Art

Press any key to exit,
Press any other key to continue...
- unknown

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 77 users online (1 registered, 76 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 29, 2024 - 12:33 pm UTC  |  Hits:62,405,739  (20,525 Today )
RSS Feed