ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[Tip] Advanced file sorting options in Windows   [Tip]

By: Peter Shute       
Date: Mar 09,2016 at 20:27
In Response to: [Tip] Advanced file sorting options in Windows (Andrew Watson)

> Who knew?
>
> You live and learn.
>
> http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2016/03/ask...d-file-sorting-options-in-windows-10/

I'm not sure I've ever wanted to anything more than a single level sort in Windows. Nice to know it's there though.

The question was "For example, I want to sort by file type first, then by Name then by Date."

Once you've sorted by file type and name, the only way the date sorting is going to have any effect is when two files have the same name. Is that possible? I don't think that person has really thought about what they want.

Further down: "One important thing — Windows ‘remembers’ the sorting you have done, which can make it feel like the system is suddenly broken if you don’t know what’s going on."

How many times have I had to fix that for people? Especially when they've reverted to an icon view. I guess it's worth being aware of this advanced sorting just in case one has to help someone undo it.

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 55 users online (0 registered, 55 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 28, 2024 - 11:25 am UTC  |  Hits:62,364,848  (17,245 Today )
RSS Feed