ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[Tip] Another Windows 10 Start Menu Warning   [Tip]

By: Andrew Watson     Perth, Western Australia  
Date: Aug 02,2015 at 00:09

In my previous post on using ZTree in Windows 10 I indicated that, based on my experience with the Preview version, you could create a link to ZTree in the Start Menu by creating a shortcut in the appropriate User or All User folders.

I haven't been able to test the final release because I haven't been able to persuade my 1 Preview PC, 2 Win 8 tablets, 1 Win 7 laptop or 2 Win 7 netbooks to upgrade so I don't know how the problem outlined in the article below impacts on this procedure, but it doesn't look good.

It seems that during an install/upgrade the 2 folders are scanned and the contents are uploaded to a database and that Windows 10 never looks at these folders again.

This means that users or corporate SOE builders (one of my pre-retirement jobs) can't add items to the Start Menu simply by adding links as required. I'm sure someone will come up with a program to do this in the same way that programs to update the WIN+X menu in Win 8.x (that presumably still work in Win 10) were available.

Other problems with the Win 10 Start Menu are:

* the database only allows 500 entries

* the menu entries can't be "roamed"

Read all about it in the section with the title below in the link below:

A new Start menu, not necessarily a better one

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/07/r...-version-yet-once-the-bugs-get-fixed/

Andrew Watson

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 113 users online (0 registered, 113 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 29, 2024 - 3:07 pm UTC  |  Hits:62,410,262  (25,048 Today )
RSS Feed