ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[Tip] Display the files in System Volume Information   [Tip]

By: Bill Kingsbury       
Date: Dec 20,2014 at 23:28
In Response to: [Tip] Display the files in System Volume Information (Peter Shute)

> I've often wondered what's in there. Once you've got access to
> it, what can you do? I.e. what's the point?

I needed to learn exactly what is happening with System Restore (Windows 7 x64 Ultimate). This only started about December 1st:

With ZTree, now I can watch the restore points in System Volume Information, continuously grow in size, until there's no free space left on drive C -- unless they're deleted manually.

Every time I reset the System Restore "Maximum size allowed" to 10%, within hours it resets itself to 50%. This has happened about 17 times in the past 20 days.

The restore points keep growing by the hour for no known reason, and no way to stop it -- other than, perhaps, turning off System Protection entirely. However that won't necessarily help, if Windows also ignores that changed setting...

This appears to be a somewhat common problem with Windows:

Google:... "disk space" + "System Restore" + "keeps growing"

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22disk+...System+Restore%22+%22keeps+growing%22

Bill

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 94 users online (1 registered, 93 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 29, 2024 - 12:44 pm UTC  |  Hits:62,406,031  (20,817 Today )
RSS Feed