ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

Free Microsoft 64-bit C++ Compiler Available Here...   [BETA]

By: Peter Geagea       
Date: Dec 10,2010 at 16:31
In Response to: Free Microsoft 64-bit C++ Compiler Available Here... (Ian Binnie)

> > I currently have Visual C++ 6 as well as Visual Studio .NET 2003
> > installed on the same XP Pro SP3 machine. Although Microsoft say that
> > Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2 won't work with VC6, what I
> > discovered was that I could in fact compile 64-bit programs with VC6
> and
> > then run them successfully on Windows 7 64-bit, which I have
> installed on
> > another partition.
> >
> I will give this a try.
>
> Tools/Options/Directories only has 1 option for Platform.
>
> Did you leave this at Win32?
>

Yes, there's no way to create a new Win64 option; but don't worry, your programs will be 64-bit.

> Can you still compile 32 bit programs with these new directories in the
> path?

Yes, but you must click the "down" arrow beneath the "Show Directories For:" section, (in Tools | Options | Directories) so that you lower the search order for the new compiler, linker, includes, and libraries, to the lowest in the list when you wish to create 32-bit programs. Then just click the up arrow (until the new paths reach the top) in the same area for executables, includes, and libraries when you want 64-bit again.

While you're at it, you should download InspectEXE from the following site:

http://www.silurian.com/inspect/index.htm

This program adds a few tabs to the Windows Explorer file property sheets. Just highlight a file in ZTreeWin, eg. "MYPROG.EXE", then press the context menu button (near the right hand side Start button on most keyboards), select Properties, then select the "InspectEXE" tab which will tell you if an EXE or DLL file is 32-bit or 64-bit.

Otherwise you could try running the program that you create eg "MYPROG.EXE" and if it is a 64-bit program running on a 32-bit version of Windows, you will get an error message saying something like: "MYPROG.EXE is not a valid Win32 Application."

Good luck!

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 91 users online (0 registered, 91 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 29, 2024 - 12:36 pm UTC  |  Hits:62,405,838  (20,624 Today )
RSS Feed