ZTree.com  | ZEN  | About...  

Index   Back

[Humor] Xtree Gold 2.5 Manual   [Humor]

By: Paul Laufer       
Date: Nov 04,2010 at 03:19
In Response to: [Humor] Xtree Gold 2.5 Manual (David Bullock)

> You make these "manual" things sound like they're printed on actual
> paper.

They were, on high quality printed glossy color books. As good as any high quality book you'd find at a bookstore today. But that was the state of software in the late 1980's and early 1990's. Much of it came with high quality printed manuals, and the companies who produced them maintained a staff of experts to write them.

I just threw a few away. I used them for years as a leveling shim for my telescope. One was for a "Colorado Jumbo 250 Tape Drive." A backup drive from the early 90's that held 125 megs. It came with a beautiful color printed manual that was about an inch thick. It must have been 175-200 pages, for a simple tape drive. Another, just as thick and impressive, was for a mouse.

Those books were well written, in impeccable English, with nary a dangling participle. And a lot of people made good money producing them.

Thread locked

Messages in this Thread

96,637 Postings in 12,231 Threads, 350 registered users, 96 users online (1 registered, 95 guests)
Index | Admin contact |   Forum Time: Mar 29, 2024 - 12:02 am UTC  |  Hits:62,385,269  (55 Today )
RSS Feed